Monday, July 19, 2010

Pipe lamp idea

Hello hello,

I'm back :) Again.. I know I hadn't been here for a while.. Well maybe even longer. But you have to get use to it - I'm not good at systematic blogging. :)

Today my (in fact our - mine and my husband's) project. It's a floor lamp made out of pipes, elbow connections and few other known to plumbers parts.

We used some those parts (all 3/4''):














You can see usage of most of them here:


You ask why we wanted to make a lamp out of pipes? Some of you surely ask a question "why not buy a pretty, maybe even cheaper lamp?" We answer: "To make something!" :)

We hit on this idea after I found an old lamp shade which had been thrown out by someone who lives in our building. I decided to take it. It was very dirty, ugly coloured, but had beautiful shape. I tried to wash it, but it didn't work.

Picture before (after taking off the strings which stretched the material over the framework) :


We bought a piece of yellow fabric in the second hand shop and I sew my first lamp shade using the old one as a pattern. I had problems with stretching new fabric because it wasn't stretchy but with a little help of my husband, I succeeded.

And taaadammmmmmm!

And this is how our new lamp looks like next to most comfortables of our furniture:


This is ofcourse only a general idea and I didn't want to give you full tutorial how to do exactly this lamp. You have to try it yourself :)

The best part of this project was having fun and trying to dovetail all parts in the shop. Other clients had a laugh :)


Our inspiration were works of http://www.kozo-lamp.com/

No comments: